At Barnes and Partners we pride ourselves on our commitment to publicly-funded services. We have secured legal aid contracts in seven of our offices: Edmonton, Harlow, Stoke Newington, Crouch End, Ware, Birmingham and Cheshunt, where the full range of family legal aid services are available. We also have a legal aid contract to deliver housing services from our Silver Street office in Enfield.
Since April 2013 there have been changes to the scope of legal aid for family matters and legal aid funding is no longer available for such matters as divorce, financial issues arising from a relationship breakdown or contact/residence disputes unless there is documentary evidence of domestic violence. This could be in the form of:
- An injunction or undertaking given in court in the past 24 months.
- A conviction, caution or on-going criminal proceedings relating to an assult.
- Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) plan in place.
- Findings made at court relating to the other party’s behaviour.
- Admission to a refuge within the last 24 hours.
The Legal Aid Agency have produced an eligibility calculator which can be found here.
If you are not eligible for legal aid, speak to one of our Family Law Solicitors for details of our Limited Means Scheme.
We are also able to offer fixed fees and competitive hourly rates.